And now, your feel-ancient moment of the day: Street Fighter II came out 21 years ago. Kids who were born when the franchise that is the foundation of every modern fighting game to this day got started are now able to drink and drive. When you’re done with your crippling depression, we’ll continue. Take a minute.
Unlike Nintendo, however, who were more than content to let Mario‘s, Zelda‘s, and Metroid‘s anniversaries slip by with minimal fanfare, to celebrate Street Fighter‘s anniversary, Capcom dropped this bomb on us, a $150 big goddamn box of Street Fighter content, due out on September 18th. Sounds pricey for a game. Most Collector’s Editions are. In this case? Might be worth it.
There’s nothing I can really say that the list of content and the picture won’t say for itself, but if there was ever any doubt in your mind that Capcom fucking loves you, this should obliterate it, now and forever. If you’ve ever had an attachment to this series at any point, or just wanted to catch up to the new generation of games in the series in the classiest way imaginable, there’s something for you here. Just….damn.
The limited edition Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collector’s Set includes:
- Past and Present Street Fighter Games – Playable on current gen PS3™ and Xbox 360 console systems, the four critically-acclaimed titles selected from the star-studded catalog are: Super Street Fighter® II Turbo HD Remix, Street Fighter® III 3rd Strike Online Edition, Super Street Fighter® IV Arcade Edition with all costume DLC, and Street Fighter® X Tekken® including all character and Swap Costume DLC.
- Exclusive Video – The two-disc Blu-Ray set includes a documentary that highlights the profound influence the franchise has had on fans – and vice versa – throughout the years. The collection of videos also includes Street Fighter®IV and Super Street Fighter®IV Anime movies as well as all episodes of the Street Fighter animated series and Street Fighter®II: The Animated Movie.
- Light-up Ryu Statue – A specially commissioned and highly-detailed collectable Ryu statue stands prominently at 8” tall and features the iconic character in mid-Shoryuken, with flames lit from below.
- 11-Disc Soundtrack – Street Fighter game music spanning the past 25 years, in addition to remixes and fan-created music inspired by past Street Fighter games .
- 64-page Hardcover Art Book – A tribute to Street Fighter game fans from all over the world, the art book includes fan pieces submitted by professional and aspiring artists alike.
- Ryu’s Belt – Created to regulation specs, the full-size martial arts black belt is a replica of the one Ryu wears and even includes his classic “Fūrinkazan” in kanji!
- Certificate of Authenticity – Each Collector’s Set comes individually numbered complete with a certificate of authenticity.
The one weird part is that this set is actually celebrating Street Fighter‘s 25th Anniversary, as in, the release of the original (and fairly shitty) Street Fighter game in 1987. Is that included? Nope, and the world is better for it. Seriously. Be thankful.