EMPIRE – MARCH ’07
The biggest and best movie magazine in the world. Made in the UK. Huge. That’s all you need to know.
This issue’s strong points:
- 80’s action star retrospective featuring current interviews with Lundgren, Seagal, Stallone, and Van Damme. This alone is worth a perfect score, even if the rest of the pages were actually the current issue of O, The Oprah Magazine (yes, that’s the official proper name of that hate).
- Cracking good interview with the Pegg/Frost/Wright holy trinity behind Hot Fuzz. Again, this article alone would be worth a perfect score for the following exchange in the midst of a discussion of obscure action stars: "And Cynthia Rothrock was a man." "What happened to her?" "AIDS."
- A two-pager on 80’s villains that includes the Duke from Escape From New York, Lance Henriksen from Stone Cold, and Vernon Wells from Commando. GLORIOUS.
- About as good an article on Ghost Rider as you’re going to read.
- Great article on Schwarzenegger’s life including a sidebar of his one-liners in chronological order.
- Excellent Bourne Ultimatum article that really cements how far this franchise has come and why Bond is playing catch-up.
- Countless other good, smaller bits and reviews.
- Why are you still reading this? Buy this issue ASAP, jerk!
This issue’s weak points:
- The Schwarzenegger timeline includes "Ice to see you!" from Batman and Robin.
- This exquisite publication is only monthly?
Overall: 10.0 out of 10