THE SKELETON KEY
Casts its Spell on DVD NOVEMBER 15, 2005
from Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Sad songs may say so much, but it’s scary stories that really get our blood pumping. Next Tuesday, November 15th, sees the DVD release of The Skeleton Key, a supernatural thriller starring Kate Hudson that weaves a tale of terror and suspense!
When Caroline Ellis (Hudson) takes a job in Louisiana’s bayous, she unlocks a deadly secret involving magic, conjure and sacrifice that pulls her into a terrifying world of strange, frightening and unexplained incidents. The key to escaping may lie in a decrepit attic, but if she dares to believe in what she discovers, everything she fears will become real! Filled with endless suspense and bone-chilling scares, hold on for this terrific ride with "one of the best twists since The Sixth Sense" (Melanie Moon, WB-TV)!
The Skeleton Key DVD opens a Pandora’s box of extra features, as it lifts the veil on some of the filmmakers’ supernatural secrets:
– Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Director Iain Softley
– Behind the Locked Door – Making The Skeleton Key: A behind-the-scenes making of The Skeleton Key that includes interviews with Director Iain Softley, Kate Hudson, Peter Sarsgaard, and John Hurt.
– Exploring Voodoo/Hoodoo: Explore the symbols, chants, and history of hoodoo, and the religion of voodoo.
– Kate Hudson’s Ghost Story: Kate Hudson tells a chilling true ghost story from her past.
– Recipe & Ritual: Making the Perfect Gumbo!
– Blues in the Bayou: Music Supervisor Sara Lord and Director Iain Softley discuss the roots and history of bluegrass music and how its spirituality adds suspense to the film.
– Plantation Life: Learn the true history of Plantation Life through interviews with plantation owners Stan and Irma Waguespack and Norman Marmillion.
– Casting The Skeleton Key: Through interviews with cast and filmmakers, we discover why the actors chose to play these characters.
– John Hurt’s Story: John Hurt reads a disturbing excerpt from the book Voices from Slavery.
– A House Called Felicity: Through interviews with cast and crew, we discover how the film’s locations were chosen.
– Gena’s Love Spell: Gena Rowlands shows the viewer a voodoo spell that will create love and friendship.
– Audio Commentary with Director Iain Softley
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is teaming up with CHUD to offer a very cool and very unique contest. One lucky winner is going to get:
– a 27” flat screen TV
– a DVD player
– and a ten pack of scary Universal DVDs
How do you win? It’s not so simple this time – you’re going to have to actually work for this one! Just as Kate Hudson shares her own personal ghost story on The Skeleton Key’s DVD bonus features, to be eligible to win our prize, you’ll need to share an original scary ghost story of your own! And…I won’t be deciding on the winner – that’ll be up for a vote by all CHUD readers!
What are the restrictions on your ghost story? None, but remember that it’s being voted on by readers, so keep in mind what will make people want to read the whole thing and then vote for you.
Get writing! The contest begins immediately and we will stop accepting entries on November 22. We will have polls set up on our message board where readers can vote on each day’s batch of stories. Then we’ll have a big final vote with each day’s winners.
Send your story – in a Word Document only – along with your name and mailing address, to email@example.com with THE SKELETON KEY DVD in the subject.
1. Eligibility: The Skeleton Key DVD Contest (the "Contest") is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least thirteen (13) years old at the time of entry. ENTRANTS WHO ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE MUST GET PERMISSION FROM THEIR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS TO ENTER THE CONTEST. Employees of www.chud.com (the “Sponsor”) and Universal Studios (“Universal”) and their parent and affiliate companies (collectively, the “Contest Entities”) as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. Participation in this Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to abide by these Official Rules and any and all of Sponsor and Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all respects. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. Sponsor: CHUD.com – Cinematic Happenings Under Development 4915 Camberbridge Dr. Alpharetta, GA 30022.
3. Timing: The Contest begins on November 9 at 12:00 am Eastern Standard Time ("ET") and ends on November 23, 2005 at 11:50 p.m. ET (the "Promotion Period"). For the purposes of this Contest, the 24 hours between 12:00:00 a.m. ET to 11:59:59 p.m. ET constitute a "Day."
5. Grand Prize Drawing: The winner will be decided by a voting system operated by the Website. The potential winner will be notified by mail, email or phone. The potential winner will be required to sign and return to Sponsor, within ten (10) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an affidavit of eligibility, and liability/publicity release in order to claim his/her prize. If the winner is a minor in his/her place of residence, the winner’s parent/legal guardian must accept the prize on the minor’s behalf. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, or fails to sign and return the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within the required time period, potential winner forfeits prize. Potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries. Use of any automated system to participate or vote is prohibited and will result in disqualification. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, any on-line entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail account from which it was sent, provided such account holder must still meet the eligibility requirements for the Contest. The authorized account holder shall be the natural person to whom the applicable email address has been assigned by the Internet access provider, service provider, or other online organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. A potential winner may be requested to provide the Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor’s satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible.
6. Release: By receipt of any prize, winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Administrator, Universal, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
7. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes winner’s consent to Contest Entities’ and their agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
8. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Any prize depicted in promotional packaging or otherwise in connection with this Contest is for illustrative purposes only and may not represent the actual prize that is awarded. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest promotional materials and the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, these Official Rules shall prevail and govern. Details of prizes or parts thereof not specified herein are at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
9. Limitations of Liability: By participating in this Contest, entrants (and parent/legal guardian if entrant is a minor) agree (A) that the he Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize and (B) that the Released Entities have not made any warranty, representation or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to any prize, including, without limitation, to such prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose. If for any reason an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, provided that if it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance of the Contest, or any part of it, for any reason, Sponsor, at its discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein.
10. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan, U.S.A. without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.