Name: Michael Anthony Claudio Wincott
- Date of Birth: January 21, 1958
– From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
– 5′ 10.5″ tall
Notable Roles: Capt. Silvestro Canio, Kent / Michael / Joe, Soupy Mike, Vet, Paul Rothchild, Adrian de Moxica, Guy of Gisborne, Rochefort, Top Dollar, Philo Gant, Rene Ricard, Michael Korda, Frank Elgyn, Gary Soneji, Julius Bicke, Hayes.
Career Hiccup(s): Bloodhounds of Broadway
– “Quick impression for you: ‘Caw Caw, BANG! FUCK! I’m dead.!”
– [“What do you call that haircut?”] “I don’t know…rock and roll!”
– “Might I have the pleasure of your name, before I have you run through?”
– “Bold words. I look forward to ramming them down your throat.”
– “Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we oughta have an introspective moment of silence for poor ol’ Tin Tin.”[sniffs drugs]
– “Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that’s fun!”
– “I think we broke her.”
– “Ya know, my daddy used to say every man’s got a devil. And you can’t rest ’til you find him. What happened back there with you and your girlfriend – I cleared that building. Hell, nothin’ in this town happens without my say-so. So I’m sorry if I spoiled your wedding plans there, friend. But, if it’s any consolation to you, you have put a smile on my face.”
– “Paranoia is just reality on a finer scale.”
– “The only time a whore should open her mouth is when she is giving head.”
– “She is severely fuckable, ain’t she?”
– “Hey, son, I’ll give ya my authorization code. It’s E-A, T-M, E.”
This gravelly-voiced Juilliard graduate is an expert at playing malcontents, villains and guys who love to tiptoe on the fringes of society. Equally adept in a period piece or a far flung sci-fi future, Wincott has made his mark over the last 25 years as a guy who can weigh down an otherwise flighty character and bring his own smarmy appeal to some memorable antagonists . This somewhat reclusive utility player is known for not buying into the Hollywood hype, yet turning in memorable performances in roles that are not always in the spotlight. But when he gets the call to head up a major part, he steps up his considerable game even more.
Wincott doesn’t have to be the headliner to make an impression. In Talk Radio, he’s was the manic druggie caller into the radio show of Eric Bogosian’s downward-spiraling Barry Champlain. He was Alan Rickman’s right hand, Guy of Gisborne, in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Adrian de Moxica 1492: The Conquest of Paradise and Philo Gant in Kathryn Bigelow’s Strange Days. He was Elgyn, the buttery captain of the Betty in Alien: Resurrection, who was criminally snuffed early on like some two-bit red shirt. Popular scuttlebutt moseying around the internet was that Elgyn and his crew were early models for Joss Whedon’s Firefly.
Although he’s a veteran of over 50 film and television roles, Wincott has drawn the most attention in his career as a portrayer of juicy bad guys. Several of them in fact have made use of his skill as a fencer. He was the villainous and deadly Rochefort in 1993’s The Three Musketeers. He was the intellectual and vindictive jewel thief, Michael Korda, in 1997’s Metro opposite Eddie Murphy. Wincott was also the scheming kidnapper, Gary Soneji, matching wits against Morgan Freeman’s Alex Cross in Along Came a Spider. And in probably his most recognized role, he was the excellent Top Dollar in The Crow opposite the late Brandon Lee. That film in particular was peppered with great Michael Wincott quotes and Top Dollar was his most hedonistic role and a perfect foil for the talented Lee. Wincott has also made good use of his distinctively raspy voice, voicing characters in the video games, Halo 2 and N.A.R.C., and as Scroop in Treasure Planet.
Mr. Wincott, for your memorable voice and skill in portraying decadent and vicious and characters who revel in the borderlines, we salute you.
Michael Wincott Factoids
Wincott’s favorite musician is Keith Richards, he plays the drums, and he is known to hold art in higher regard than money. Before he portrayed Kent in the film version of Talk Radio, he originated the role with Bogosian on stage in New York.