Word has recently gone out that Kate Beckinsale is now confirmed for a third outing as Selene for Underworld 4. Beckinsale wasn’t in the most recent installment, Rise of the Lycans, which was a prequel to the first two films in the series and starred Rhona Mitra as Sonja, the doomed daughter of Bill Nighy’s Viktor and lover of Michael Sheen’s Lucian. In a press release we received, other key details have emerged about the latest installment of the vampires vs. werewolves franchise.
Among them, that none other than J. Michael Strazczynski has come aboard to do some revisions to the original script, which was penned by John Hlavin (Donkey Punch). Also, there are plans to add the character of Selene’s daughter. No word on if there’s a Lycan who imprints upon her or not though… Also no word on Scott Speedman returning or not, but it’s hard to imagine he won’t be back unless they don’t have a place for him. Len Wiseman is not directing but will be producing.
From the release:
* Reprising her role as the character Selene, Kate Beckinsale will take the lead in Screen Gems and Lakeshore Entertainment’s fourth installment of the UNDERWORLD franchise.
* The project penned by John Hlavin with revisions with J. Michael Straczynski will be produced by Lakeshore Entertainment’s Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi, and Len Wiseman. A director is currently being sought out for the project as well as an actress to take the role of Selene’s daughter. Production is set to start in March of 2011 in Vancouver.
* Beckinsale is known for roles in THE AVIATOR, CLICK, NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, and SNOW ANGELS.
* Straczynski recently penned the screenplay for CHANGELING.
* Hlavin’s writing credits include the television series’ Trust Me and the Golden Globe® winning series The Shield. He will next write the script for the Warner Bros. film THE GUNSLINGER and ALIBI.
* Screen Gems’ Senior Vice President of Production, Scott Strauss will oversee the project for the studio.
* Beckinsale is represented by WME and Brillstein Entertainment Partners. Straczynski is represented by CAA. Hlavin is represented by UTA.
The film is aimed for a January 20, 2012 release.
The Matrix is a cultural milestone still talked about to this day but, it’s creators, the Wachowskis’ later work Jupiter Ascending is often overlooked. Spinning separate folklore into into a sci fi fantasy yarn that dares to ask you to view the world in a different way. Like Nicolas Cage’s National Treasure this film takes … Continue reading — By Sushi-X