Pilot season appears to be getting off to a brisk start as both ABC and TNT have picked up several shows each. On the Alphabet side, the following pilots were given orders:
- Matadors, from Sony TV and writer/executive producer Jack Orman
(ER), centers on two feuding families, one in the Chicago
district attorney’s office and the other opposing them in the
city’s most influential private law firm.
- True Blue, from ABC Studios, is a soap described as The Big
Chill set in a homicide squad. It centers on a group of San
Francisco homicide detectives who reunite to solve the murder of
one of their own and, in the process, revive old passions,
rivalries and friendships.
Over at TNT, the following were also picked up:
- Untitled alien invasion drama produced by Steven Spielberg and starring Noah Wylie. Written by Robert Rodat from an idea he
conceived with Spielberg, stars Wyle as the leader of a rag-tag
group of soldiers and civilians struggling against an occupying
alien force. Moon Bloodgood, Jessy Schram, Seychelle Gabriel and
Maxim Knight co-star. DreamWorks TV is producing the project, with Spielberg, Rodat,
Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank executive producing. Carl Franklin
directed the pilot. Post-production requirements will push this to 2011.
- Delta Blues, starring Jason Lee. From George Clooney and Grant Heslov’s Smokehouse
Pictures and Warner Horizon, centers on Dwight Hendricks (Lee), a
Memphis police officer who lives with his mother (Celia Weston) and
moonlights as a musician.
- Rizzoli & Isles, starring Angie Harmon (Law & Order)and Sasha Alexander (NCIS). Based on Tess Gerritsen’s mystery novels, the show is, from Warner
Horizon, revolves around the crime-solving team of Boston police
detective Jane Rizzoli (Harmon) and medical examiner Maura Isles
(Alexander). The cast of the crime procedural, written by Janet Tamaro, includes
Lorraine Bracco and Bruce McGill. Tamaro is executive producing the
series with Bill Haber. Michael M. Robin helmed the pilot. It’s targeted for later this year.
Order Fox Force Five on the message boards.