Don’t you miss stories about people fainting and having heart attacks at movie screenings? It doesn’t happen nearly enough these days. Perhaps it’s because we’ve seen it all, because as a society we’re hardened against most of the horrors thrown at us. It takes a helluva lot more than Frankenstein’s monster shuffling toward the screen to scare us.
Well, at Sundance this year, two people fainted during the premiere of Grace. I haven’t had the privilege of seeing the film just yet but everyone in the horror crowd has absolutely loved it.
After years of trying to conceive, Madeline (Jordan Ladd) and Michael Matheson (Stephen Park) are finally about to become parents. But with only weeks to go before delivery, an accident leaves both Michael and the unborn child dead. Devastated, Madeline decides to carry the child to term and deliver naturally. What seemed like madness becomes a miracle when, after delivering a dead child, Madeline finds her baby is indeed alive…and hungry. She soon discovers that her baby – now named Grace – thirsts for something more than mother’s milk, and Madeline is determined to feed her child, no matter the consequences. With nowhere to turn, Madeline must make a mother’s ultimate decision: What will she sacrifice to keep her child alive?
Devin will probably be sad to note that it’s taking the direct to dvd route. Check out his review and great open letter to Anchor Bay, that was subsequently ripped off by another site.
Still, come September 15th everyone will be able to see what the fuss is about for themselves, with dvd and blu-ray releases of the film. Here’s a list of extras.
* Audio commentary with writer/director Paul Solet, producer Adam Green and director of photography Zoran Popovic
* Audio commentary with writer/director Paul Solet and actor Jordan Ladd (Blu-ray exclusive)
* Grace: Conception – charting the film’s origins;
* Grace: Family – an in-depth look at the cast of characters;
* Her Mother’s Eyes: The Look of Grace – designing the unique visuals
* Grace: Delivered – overcoming challenges during principal photography
* Lullaby: Scoring Grace – creating the score and sound effects
* Grace at Sundance – becoming a festival sensation (Chud.com’s own Devin is featured in this!)
* Theatrical Trailer