Most people wait anxiously for the end of the year, hoping that maybe the next will be better. I gave up on that idea a long time ago, fully expecting that if I survive the most boring day of the entire year (January 1rst), the new year will probably suck as much as the one before.
Many come up with New Year’s resolutions they immediately forget at the stroke of midnight on December 31, probably due to the massive neuron death caused by excessive alcohol intake. Despite my cynicism about new year’s whatever, I come up with my own personal list every year. I can’t help it.
Here are some of my New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Develop douche-ray vision (term penned by the wonderful writers of Community) and stay away from douchey musician types, especially if they look like Jeffrey Donovan.
2. Try to watch as many movies recommended by the good lads from The B Action Movie Thread.
3. Read more, particularly sci-fi and fantasy novels.
4. See Avatar, preferably on January 1.
5. Avoid getting any injuries or getting into any minor freak accidents without becoming a hermit.
6. Continue with dance lessons despite inevitable bouts of insecurity and old injuries.
7. Get back into screenwriting, starting with short films. If this doesn’t fail, bravely go for the 457th attempt at writing a feature film without thinking it sucks ass by page 10.
8. Get back into drawing.
9. Make the District 9 t-shirts I promised myself I’d make.
10. Get the District 9 DVD and watch it until I memorize every line.
11. Do anything in my power to see the following movies, even if I have to resort to extreme measures: Machete, The Expendables, Tron Legacy, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Outcast, Priest, Legion, London Boulevard, Inception, Green Zone, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One, Clash of the Titans, The Descent Part II (though I feel this one will be a dud), The A-Team, Alice in Wonderland, Burlesque, The Road, and Kick-Ass.
12. Fight the pull of MacGruber (and fail).
13. Finally become a regular viewer of Supernatural.
14. Continue this CHUD blog, because despite the incredible amount of crap I post, it’s fun.
15. Get a freaking life.
Well, that was a lot. The only resolution I’m sure will come to pass is number 4, because I already reserved the tickets. As for the rest, who knows (especially number 15). We’ll see how it goes.
So now, all that’s left to say is:
HAPPY NEW YEAR, MY DEAR
Hope next year doesn’t suck as much as this one… if it sucked for you at all… you know what I mean.